1. Patrick set out from Pottstown one morning to drive to Peoria, where he had a business appointment. Presently he figured that he would be late if he did not speed up. He had been on the road for 36 minutes, averaging 30 miles per hour. At that rate, he would be 16 minutes late for his appointment. So he stepped on the gas, and by averaging 35 miles per hour for the rest of the trip he just made Peoria in time. How far is it from Pottstown to Peoria?
2. Arrange the digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 so that when the numbers are added up, they will total 100.
6. A boy, herding some cows, was asked how many cows he had. He said, "When they are in line there are two cows ahead of a cow, two cows behind a cow, and one cow in the middle." How many cows did he have?
3. Nolan and Caroline have been lifetime friends. When they graduated from high school, they carved their initials on a tree trunk 4 feet off the ground. Exactly one year later, they came home from college. The tree had grown 6 inches. During the following years, the tree doubled the amount it grew each year. How high were their initials on their tenth reunion?
5. Can you arrange these five digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 so that the first two digits multiplied by the middle digit will produce the last two digits?